You might as well call me the bomber. My evil mastermind is carefully secreted behind the facade of a well intentioned yet absentminded mother. I casually pretended that I meant to turn on the back burner -- no one would suspect that I would knowingly turn on the burner under a Pyrex dish. I even exclaimed “what I fool I am! I turned on the wrong burner. ha ha ha.”
Then I craftily arranged for Nick to place cold globs of raw ground beef on the hot dish while I made the sauce elsewhere. Brilliant. It was only a matter of time until:
CRASH.
A barricade was quickly constructed for the minor’s safety. No babies were harmed. I covered my guilt by volunteering to clean up while Nick played with the boys.
Pyrex explodes into a fine powder. It took a while to clean up.

12 comments:
WHOA that is amazing.
i love the expression on your face and your bangs hanging down in your eyes. classic. you know i would have laughed at you, and made you smile. :)
Sadness!
Did you cut your hair? It looks cute, from what I can see in the pic of you looking all sad.
The same thing happened to me about two weeks ago, I feel for you. Mine was a red vlevet cake...it looked like a massacre in the kitchen. No child present either, but seriously the worst mess of my life. The glass fused itself to the floor and now we have what looks like burnt mozzarela cheese on about 5 places on our kitchen floor.
So, even though I just talked to you on the phone for like two hours on a Saturday night, I still have so many things to say to you that this comment will be in bullet form so as to not forget anything.
a. I love your haircut, and I want to see real pictures of it.
b. I'm really glad no one was hurt in the explosion, we've shattered pyrex here and it is a mess to clean up.
c. Well, the bullet form has let me down. I don't remember, and I'm pretty sure I had like three other comments.
d. Ah, yes. Well, reading Al's comment reminded me of the time you sprayed brownie mix all over the kitchen. Tragically, I was not there for that, but I've heard about it often enough to know that Al would have laughed at you for sure.
Nicole, Nicole, Nicole : )
Taking a cue from Amy I shall do this in bullet form.
A. yup... I've done it with enchiladas... good times.
B. You're hair looks really cute... we need better pictures
C. I miss you
Nicole, this is Dad. Pyrex can withstand a temperature differential of about 450 degrees Celsius. That is why it is useful in cooking. You really went to some extremes there. Good job! I'm glad no one was hurt. But next time you should leave the science experiments to me or Nick. I love you and I'm sad I don't get to come with Mom to see you next week.
Nicole, I did a little research into your explosion. Apparently Corning who made Pyrex sold to another company in 1998. They make Pyrex but not out of the borosilicate glass that can withstand extreme temperature differentials. They use a tempered soda-lime glass which is almost the same as your everyday drinking glasses. It cannot withstand the temperature extreme. You have been vindicated!!!
P.S. Corning still makes the laboratory glassware out of borosilicate glass. So, in case you thought Nick might have been in peril, he should be ok as long as he doesn't put red hot labware into liquid nitrogen. Love, Dad.
Wow, Dad, thanks for the Pyrex insight. I'll admit that I was surprised that the Pyrex went down at all - I thought it should have been able to handle it, but now I know!
I'm also amazed by how many of you have experienced similar explosions. I feel like part of a club now. We need t-shirts or something.
So, if you see old Pyrex in thrift stores you may want to get it. It will be made the "Old Fashion" way. Just clean it up with baking soda and a good scrubbing and it will probably look good as new and last longer then the new : ) Love ya, see you Monday!
Post a Comment