I remember when I found out that my twins were going to be boys. I firmly believe that when you find out the gender of your kid you have to give yourself a moment to mourn the loss of the gender you didn’t have. It’s just the way it is – even if you’re excited about the gender you are having. So I said goodbye to butterflies and ruffles and got really excited about forts.
But now that I have kids I realize that boys get pretty excited about butterflies too, and what girl doesn’t love forts? I mean, I grew up building forts on a near daily basis. You can ask my mom.
And one of the many things I love about my mom is she was pretty great at letting my forts take over the front room or dining table, or wherever it was for a good while. She’s the one who taught me to make a sturdy and tight fort.
She had a ready supply of clothes pins and clamps for the process.
It’s a tradition I pass on with relish.
So, here’s a fort building tip: (if you’re looking for that sort of thing) if you have a stand-on-its-own vacuum, it makes a great tent pole. (I slipped a pillowcase over mine so the kids wouldn’t attack it constantly. They would do that. Buttons can be more interesting than forts sometimes.)
Good times.
This fort was back in December, but it had an ‘upgrade’:
We hung lights inside.
Not much beats a little Calvin and Hobbes in a twinkle light fort on a cold day.
Mom, do you have any pictures of our forts?

3 comments:
Thanks for the tip on fort building! My girls love to make them, as well. Unfortunately, my girls get super crazy and wild as soon as it is built, and they get into some wild destruction mode, and the whole thing falls down, and then they cry. I don't understand how you get yours to sit calmly inside and read... any tips on that?
How much fun! Looks like a great many fun days; love the twinkle lights! We didn't have a point and shoot camera back then; I'll have to look see if we have any pictures. Thanks for the fun. : )
We have that same Calvin and Hobbes book!
Post a Comment