30 May 2013

wild and precious

IMG_4881 photo courtesy of Rebecca Mudrick of darling art photography.

I had three kids in a span of 18 months.  I wish, oh how I wish, that I could beautifully express what that is like.  But just living it was easier than writing down what I was feeling about it.  If I had to write a poem about it it would go like this: 

Wee Young Ones.  A poem by Nicole Empey

Me and three wees. 

Intensity.

That’s all I’ve got to say about it.  I’m about as eloquent as a duck.  Luckily for me, I have eloquent friends.   I would read about their exploits and their poignant thoughts on motherhood and vicariously my heart would swell and soar with words that gave my own heart a voice.

There is another friend I have (who doesn’t know I’m her friend), but who I turn to whenever I’m feeling like what I am doing is impossible to accomplish with any grace or dignity whatsoever.  She writes at the blog Wild and Precious and she had 5 kids in 4 years.  Right, who am I to complain with my 3 in 2 years?

I want to share with you her recent address at a BYU Women’s conference.  Here is the link to her blog entry about it, and her talk is about halfway down entitled “Come Sighing and Singing to the Lord.”  Oh and her name is Catherine K. Arveseth.  Please, go read it.  It is sunshine for a mother’s heart. 

I identify with her experiences in a real way.  Though, I have yet to find a handmade sign in my yard that reads “Mom for Sale.”  But, that said, my kids can’t write yet. 

4 comments:

Alison said...

Nice poem! It made me laugh out loud. And this is why I love you! Haha

Unknown said...

What a wonderful and inspiring post. Nicole, my dear, you are a five-star mother. I think your poem is beautiful and couldn't describe your situation more eloquently.

And thanks for linking to my blog. Triple friend points for you. :)

Amy Rose said...

Wow, a link to me... I'm honored and humbled. Listen, as far as moms go I pretty much think you're the stuff. I mean, the things you let your kids do, it's just all so cool. I am so uptight with my children, always wanting them to be little adults. I need to let some jigglypuff into my life, you know?

Heather said...

Wild and precious days indeed. Great post. I will check out those links. And it reminds me that I miss you, Nicole. I was never good at long distance relationships. Forgive me, K?