21 March 2009

and randomly: a ring that I love.

So this is completely random, but today while I was looking for images of birds I found this ring, that turned out to be from etsy, and fell in love. Unfortunately, this item was sold last year, and is no longer available, but I wanted to blog about it nonetheless.


Wonderful.


And while I'm being random, I'll show you the images I have saved in my "artsy stuff that I love" folder:

This was an installation piece somewhere, and I can't find the info about it anymore, sorry about that...I'm showing you anyway.


And this:

I wish I could tell you all about this one too, but I can't. Up until this point I haven't been doing a good job documenting where I find these things that inspire me. This post has motivated me to do better in the future, and next time I show you artsy stuff I like, I'll have the info too.

Look closely at the last two. There's a lot to notice, and I think that's why I like them so much.

2 comments:

Amy Rose said...

Something about the dress one is creepy to me... I think it has to do with a scary movie I saw as a child... I wish you were here to tell me what you thought was beautiful about it.

nick said...

you're not the only one who's said it was creepy to them. BUT I finally found the artist's statement! Here it is, By Su Blackwell:

"A child's cotton dress disintegrates as it becomes something else...a cloud of butterflies. 'While you were sleeping' was inspired by the legend of the win-laik-pya or 'soul butterfly'. It is believed that the soul-butterfly flies abroad when its owner is asleep, wandering through time and space, meeting the soul-butterflies of other persons and animals and returning when the owner awakes. Burmese children are still taught never to awaken anyone too suddenly, for fear the win-laik-pya cannot get back in time, in which case the person dies, or worse, lives on, without a soul."

That Burmese tradition there at the end could be a little scary, I guess, But I like the idea of the nightgown representing a sleeping girl and the butterflies representing her dreaming mind. Her consciousness floats off into dreams? eh? is that less scary?

I also think the artist's ability to construct the whole thing the way it is is amazing too. It must have taken forever to get it to float perfectly like that.