04 December 2008

Happy Gravy Day!

from Nicole: Gravy Day is also known as Turkey Day to some, but it all depends on where you place your emphasis on Thanksgiving. I myself could feel satisfied by a Thanksgiving with no turkey but would be horrified and mystified by a Thanksgiving with no gravy.

Anyway, my parents came to stay for the holiday and we had fun. Here are some pictures:

Mom proudly looking over the spread



Here's my mom really happily sitting at the dinner table, and my dad reading Harry Potter at my craft desk. Aren't these kids so cute?
Dad perusing the goods




Notice how my parents wear bright colors, I really enjoy that. My parents made all the food and I was responsible for the mashed potatoes because they are my staple. I was kind of surprised that they trusted me though. I guess I am in my mid-twenties. I should know how to boil stuff and add butter.










One of my favorite nights while they were here we played a friendly game of Clue and Nick stomped on us. I was okay though, because mom had made pie and it was sitting right in front of me. I was Miss Scarlet, and in this shot I am in the Study with Professor Plum and no weapon but my killer looks. Turns out neither of us were guilty.



Mom and I got a little crafty one night making these super cute fabric birds that I found online. Check out the pattern here. It's free! It's from the blog "Spool." We were making Christmas-y birds, but these would be totally great for a nursery or kid's room or just general coolness about the house.











Nick speaking: Thanksgiving was the best of times, and definitely not the worst of times. Free range turkeys (none of that fake stuff), and gravy ahoy! I say, my good man, that it was quite possibly the best delight since turkish delight...or rapper's delight. Candied yams were aflutter the spread. Do you know the times?

Nicole: I love it when Nick posts.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Those pies look really good...Our pies were made by a couple of male law students, tasty but not as pretty as yours.

JDS said...

Can I get you to teach me how to sew the birds (I think that is the same type you made for Kristi's shower)? My sister-in-law is decorating a nusery with birds like that this winter.

Alison said...

Nicole - your posts are always priceless. Don't change a thing. I love the picture of the game board with the pie in front of it. I wish I could think of a magazine for you to send it to... cover shot anyone?
Also, I don't think I've ever won a game of Clue, so remind me to never play with Nick.

Amy Rose said...

the above comment is the direct result from messing around with other people's lives. I apologize. That was me. I wanted to add though, that I was thinking about what you said about mashed potatoes the other day. I love boiling those little guys and adding milk and butter. Delicious!