28 July 2013

July Escape

Nick has a pharmacy rotation in July that took him far away for long hours, so I invited myself over to my mom and dad’s house for a few weeks.  Nick drove up with us overnight and stayed a few days.  He drove home with his babies of a different sort – his drum set.  So while we played, he rocked out on his drums in an empty house.  happysad.

But here we are at Grandma and Grandpa’s:

IMG_3806

IMG_3812

Ahhh.  Good decision, Nicole.

IMG_3823


When we go to Indiana we have to go to what the boys call ‘Uncle Bill’s Zoo.’ However, I’ve noticed that the kids only sort of  looked at the animals.IMG_3835IMG_3841

As you can see in these pictures, the kids weren’t really looking at the animals.  I mean, hello!  Cheetah!  -- right in your face…   Nope, nothing.

This was my best attempt at getting the whole cousin crew in one picture:

IMG_3851

This is why you hire professionals -- and I’m sure even they use photoshop to get it right.

IMG_3854

Oh, and here’s a seal.  But no, not looking at that.  Notice how Brookston is looking at the perfectly average kid beside him.

IMG_3856Polar Bear?  Not looking at that either.

Then we had lunch with some Ninjas. (Nick was still here for this part)IMG_3858


Rosalyn spends most of her time at her Grandparent’s house doing this puzzle over and over and over –sometimes with underwear on her head.IMG_3872

We went to the Indianapolis Children’s Museum and, though I live in out of state, we bought a membership.  I did not get good pictures on this trip.IMG_3883


This was the first time my kids ever flew a kite.  We flew kites quite a bit during this trip.  Sometimes in  underwear.IMG_3932

Roz ‘watered’ Grandma’s plants (by which I mean she did nothing of the sort).IMG_3953

IMG_3956

While the boys brewed up some Mushroom soup.IMG_3960

IMG_3984

Mmm.  Tasty.


The fourth of July brought the return of the traditional bottle rockets with Grandpa and his air compressor.

IMG_3989

IMG_3992I love how you can see Everett getting sprayed in the head right here.

IMG_4008

Dad gets a little wet too.  Just a little wet.

IMG_4022

We went to the local firework display and ate ice cones while we waited.IMG_4044

And the boys insisted upon taking pictures of the fireworks all by themselves.  They were extremely pleased with the results:.IMG_4058

IMG_4056

On July 5th we celebrated Grandma’s birthday. The boys ate popsicles on a rock,IMG_4064

and took a nap,

IMG_4067

while grandma and I replaced bricks in her garden.  Fun birthday times.IMG_4071

The boys wore buckets on their heads, IMG_4077

And Roz wore sopping wet underwear on her head.  Again, good birthday times.  It might have to become a birthday tradition.  Eh, Roz?IMG_4078

The kids associate my parents house with long race tracks now, and I happily obliged again this visit.

IMG_4092

You can see tinker-toy starting line, block city, tiger canyon, lego tunnel, spool forest and chubby baby finish line.


I was excited to take the kids to my alma-mater to play in the fountains. 

IMG_4098

IMG_4099I’ll admit that it was wee bit surreal to have my own kids playing in a fountain that I walked past everyday back when I was falling in love with their father.IMG_4100

IMG_4102

We all enjoyed it so much that it made me wish that UNC had splendid fountains as well.  It also made me wish that I lived next to this cool cat who very spontaneously met me there to play.

IMG_4108

We decided to take a walk to the Armstrong Building, yes – of the Neil Armstrong walking on the moon variety – all hail to old Purdue – and on the way it turned into a downpour.IMG_4111Those are my boys, checking any map they pass.

IMG_4118

I think I need to start any play dates that I have with people with a warning that they will leave sopping wet.  Am I right, Kristine?  Kim?  Yes, I am.


Well, it was a great trip, and here we are all strapped in for the ride back home to see dad again.IMG_4126

Next stop, the Empey Family Reunion of scallywags.

5 comments:

Amy Rose said...

I mean, I love my family and all, but I wish I could come to your family reunions too.

candy's clothes closet said...

looks like a super fun visit with grandma and grandpa:) Thanks for sharing all of the great pics.

Kelly Allen said...

Fun, fun! You know what would be even more fun? Calling me next time you're in town! ;)

RT and M said...

My kids like underwear on their heads too. Maybe it's comfortable?

Kim Davis said...

That was so fun! I'm glad you called! :)

(Call me AND Kelly next time, and we'll have a party!)