I made this quiet book (with a lot of help from other people) using old fabric samples from my interior design days. They’re already cut and finished to a nice 8.5” size. It’s like they’re just asking to be made into a children’s quiet book.
Nick designed and hand stitched Bob the polar bear. The background is Innovations Textiles Murano, made of tiny glass beads. Love it. I made the mitten from an old sweater of mine.
I got the idea for cupcakes at The Craft Patch (see hers here). I had seen ideas for a fish bowl, but drew my own. You can’t tell in the picture, but there’s a clear flexible plastic covering to put the fish behind.
Here’s my robot and rocket inspired by Homemade by Jill. See hers here.
I really enjoyed putting the details on my robot, and might have gotten carried away.
My mom designed and made this fantastic garden. Unfortunately we got the pages out of order here when we assembled the book, but you see the seed on the far right? So you need water from rain, light from the sun -- plant the seed and get your crops. (They all slide out from under the ground.)
My dad designed and made the tractor. Yeah, he likes machinery. He drew that thing from memory. Nick drew the designs for the tool man’s work belt and the whole family worked on the pieces. Nick can draw an excellent hammer. It’s impressive really.
The end.
Note: I would have maybe finished this thing in like, thirty years had my family not helped so much. It was fun to work together and get everyone’s designs in there. I've decided/learned that I’m a social crafter. And, if left alone to craft, I get angry and depressed, so come on over and craft with me any time!

14 comments:
SUPER impressive. I love every page. What did you use to adhere everything that wasn't stitched together? I haven't yet mastered working with fabrics...
Very, very, very cool! That would keep occupied and happy for ages!
Thanks! We used Eileen's Tacky glue on a lot of stuff, and some super glue on the robot. We'll see how it holds up. =)
Those are so stinkin cute! I 'd be afraid to ever let Paisley play with it. I love the robot, that looks awesome
I'm so glad you posted this!
So cool. I've been wanting to make one and this gives me some ideas!
Comment on Nicole's Blog take 3:
Nicole we should totally have crafting time via skype someday. I mean, I realize that we'll probably have to wait years and years for the kids to be old enough to allow us such freedom, but for Nicole, I can be patient.
And you know I LOVE the quiet book. Well done Nicole, and fam.
AND cross your fingers that I don't have to type this again...
It's so awesome! The boys will love it. And when they're older they'll enjoy you telling them who made which pages.
You are so talented! I am glad you posted this because I was telling my mom about it and now I can show her. Well done!
So cute!! And very crafty. :)
I love this Lulu needs one!
ya know. people compliment me all the time on the creative things i do...but i must say, that i got nothing on you. you are so amazing! really! i love the book. and the detail.
glad to finally see the quiet book close up--the SKYPE view didn't do it justice.
I loved the background material you used for each page--how fortunate that you had the ready sized pages!
it was fun to hear Nick sing Bob the Polar Bear song again too!!
I want one now! But looks like a lot of work so I will have to come play with yours some day!
Post a Comment